Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Mixed Bag of Tricks at Ciudad



















We’d dined here before - many moons ago and decided it was time to return.

I was hoping for a similar dining experience to the last time and sadly, it was not recaptured.

Let’s start with the service: Virtually nonexistent. We waited what seemed like indefinitely for our first round of drinks – and had to track down the manager to request another. Even after doing so, our waiter was still painfully slow – and to boot, didn’t seem to know too much about the menu. Adding insult to injury, the busboys seemed to just loiter, literally – completely unaware of the that plates we had finished which were sitting at the edge of our table for the taking. We had a second course arrive with plates littering our table. Nice!

On to the food – which was truly a mixed bag.

I ordered three appetizers as my meal, since I wasn’t in the mood for heavier fare.

The first course – a Wild Arugula and Hearts of Palm salad with Spiced Pepita Seeds, White Peaches, Shaved Manchego and a Lemon Vinaigrette. Sounded exotic – so I ordered it. Well, here was the first disappointment. The pepitas stole the show – they were packed with flavor, overpowering all of the other flavors on the plate. They were great, but again – the rest of the salad paled in comparison – particularly the dressing – which was anything but flavorful.

John started out with the Shrimp Tamale Negro, which he loved. I liked it – better than what I ordered. In fact, the flavors of that dish were very well-coordinated. Nothing out-and-out extraordinary, but very nice.

Next, I had the Peruvian Ceviche, with Mahi Mahi, Lime, Ginger and Aji Amarillo Chile. They decorated the plate with what I can only describe as plantain chips. They were a nice touch – and the dish was fortunately fantastic. I did bite into a whole peppercorn though, which sucked.

Following that, I can only say that I am thrilled I was already full. I had ordered the Carpaccio of Beef, featuring grass-fed natural beef from Uruguay, Charred Salsa Verde, Argentine Parmesan, Spanish Olive Oil and Grilled Lemon. Here is what I tasted – Olive oil and salt. I am not exaggerating when I say that the beef was swimming in olive oil and salt. It was revolting. I used the grilled lemon to cut the olive oil on about half of the plate, and even that barely made a dent. Needless to say, it was a huge disappointment.

John ordered a main course, which was again, far better than anything I ordered. They arrived fairly late into the meal, after my second course, and along with my third, which was inedible. He had the Barbequed Boneless Beef Short Ribs with Creamy Polenta, Bloomsdale Spinach, Corn Salsa and Truffle Essence. These truly were remarkable. The flavors were perfect and the dish was just exotic enough to make it interesting. I helped him clean his plate.

The highlight of the evening however was the live music on the patio. John was kind enough to render an illustration of the three men who graced us with Beatles and Springsteen hits and the like, reinterpreted in what I suppose I can describe as a mellow Mariachi style. I’m sure there’s a better description, but that is going to have to work for now.

Drinks were nice - nothing to write home about.

To sum it up, this was a lengthy lesson in what to and what not to order at Ciudad. I may return one day, but it won’t be soon.

Fortunately, we were off to see comedian Doug Stanhope after dinner. If only we’d have known that the show was to take place in what is supposed to be a great sushi restaurant…

Ciudad
445 S. Figueroa
Los Angeles
(213) 486-5171


(Napkin art courtesy of John Fountain)

No comments: