Tuesday, August 12, 2008

International House of Pancakes (Tarzana location) John's Birthday Part I



John loves pancakes, and frankly, who can blame him? We have however, been dieting, in a concerted effort to be "healthy" and thus items like pancakes are contraband. Nevertheless, I decided he had to have pancakes on his birthday and he didn't put up much of a fuss. We went to the IHOP in Tarzana - and I was excited for two reasons:

1. We have an IHOP near my office in L.A. on Wilshire that has the best cottage cheese ever. I am not kidding. My colleague Jacqui clued me in to this.

2. I would get a few bites of John's pancakes.

So, John ordered the pancake platter with sausage and I ordered their spinach and mushroom omeltte with hollandaise sauce, diced tomatoes and swiss cheese. Sort-of kind-of healthy, but not really. The omelette was another dish I was quite pleased with at the L.A. location. Sadly not the case here. They decided to serve the hollandaise on the side - problem numero uno - Not a good move when you're working with a sauce that has a tendency to coagulate, particularly when served at diner-like locations like this.

Unfortunately, their cottage cheese was sub-par too. It was served nearly frozen and just didn't have that wonderful tangy goodness of the IHOP in Los Angeles.

Disappointing, to say the least.

Another disappointing factor of this outing... the crayons.



You have no idea how crappy they were. Coloring is always fun however, so I managed to make do. You can marvel at my artistry below.



Fortunately, John's pancakes were just fine - and that was the primary goal anyhow.

The moral of the story? If you're going to go to IHOP for cottage cheese or hollandaise, definitely opt for the IHOP on Wilshire Blvd.

IHOP
19100 Ventura Blvd.
Tarzana, CA 91356
(818) 609-1548

No comments: